Following my post about eating your feelings, I thought I’d continue in a theme of self-help and talk about poor attitude, or as it’s known in our house, stinkin’ thinkin’.
Stinkin’ thinkin’ is an ailment that directly precedes eating your feelings. It is often accompanied by people telling you to ‘look for the silver lining’, ‘swing the positive’ and most annoyingly to ‘turn that frown upside down’.
I love to bust that one out, being the Pollyanna that I am.
While everyone’s symptoms will present differently, the condition (at least around our joint) is most often identified by
· Swearing. Seriously needs to change now that Q is starting words. Having Mama, Dada, Bye-Bye and F#$% as her first four words is hardly ideal.
· Short fuse. Not to be mistaken for the short fuse associated with breastfeeding fatigue because that is a legitimate condition and no debate about it will be entered into.
· Wet towel amnesia. As a general rule men suffer this condition perpetually, but it worsens from leaving it in a crumpled heap on the end of the bed, to forgetting to put down the floor mat entirely and leaving the towel under the bed, not to be found again until sheet changing day.
· Edge of the ledge attitude. Out of proportion responses to everyday situations. I would like it noted that for the performer in the family, I am nowhere near the worst offender.
· Couch napping. Stinker Thinkers want to escape themselves, and so they sleep. On the couch, straight after dinner, shoes on, un-showered, snoring. This usually causes great annoyance to the other person wanting to watch Spicks and Specks without the added nasal symphony.
It’s big people.
Stinkin’ Thinkin’ is a real issue.
We need to talk about it.
It needs it’s own awareness day.
Perhaps even a t-shirt. Something in a soft jersey cotton so sufferers’ delicate skins aren’t harmed.
But help can start right here, right now. With you. You can exact positive change.
Reach out, give them a hug, a pat on the back, buy them a full-fat cappuccino. Tell them they’re doing a good job, that you think they’re great and well liked.
Give them your time, your energy, and then hit ‘em with the truth and tell ‘em to harden the F#$% up princess.