Thursday, June 3, 2010

MY AMNIOTIC FLUID SMELLS LIKE CLAMS!!


This is what my online baby email sent to me for week 15…

Rapid growth of your baby continues at this point. The skin is very thin and you can see the blood vessels clearly underneath. The scalp hair pattern is developing while fine hair (called lanugo) covers the baby's body. Your baby is approximately 12-14 cm (3.7 to 4.1 inches) and weighs about 50 grams (1.75 to 2 ounces).
Your baby's taste buds already look like a mature adult's and doctors have learned that the amniotic fluid that surrounds it can smell strongly of curry, cumin, garlic, onion and other essences from a mother's diet. Your baby's bones continue to harden and retain calcium very rapidly. At this point in the pregnancy the placenta will begin to take on the job of hormone production to sustain the pregnancy, which was the job of your ovaries up to this point. Your baby's eyelids are now firmly shut, and will stay closed until the third trimester.

Is that not the craziest thing about the amniotic fluid? 
And I can tell you what mine smells like this morning…fishy.  Last night my chef husband had a miracle night off and made me delicious clam pasta.  I am telling you people, apart from a masseuse who else but a professional chef would you really want to marry?  White wine, (cooked till it was peanut approved), butter (every chef’s favourite ingredient), fresh clams from the fish markets (they close by 4 in case you were wondering.  Gregory and I live on such opposite ends of the clock to most people, we are sometimes completely out of sync with the normal world) and a range of fresh herbs from our (well…Gregory’s) garden and a secret blend of spices.  It was accompanied by fresh sourdough toasted with fresh tomatoes, salt and pecorino cheese and a glass of mineral water touched up with lime ice cubes and some ginger cordial I’ve found to help relieve the boredom of only drinking water now for 4 months straight.
It was so delicious the peanut and I were forced to eat 4 plates of it.  Truly.  Four.  Gregory cooked the entire 500g packet and there wasn’t a string of spaghetti left in sight.

Now, it’s the amniotic fluid that floods out of you when your waters burst right?  No one has ever said to me ‘oh and by the way, watch your diet in your last couple of weeks, you don’t want a stinky amniotic explosion’ but now I’m rather concerned, so for the final couple of weeks of this pregnancy gig, the peanut and I are going to eat fruit, plain bread and steer clear of cheese, meats and eggs.

Since I was so savvy with the picture upload yesterday, I’ll post another one of Gregory’s garden today.  I didn’t take one of the pasta sorry.

2 comments:

  1. The whole article is very interesting and I like it very much. And you are true that amniotic fluid smells like clams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you very much for reading! i found that a rather disturbing fact to be honest, think i'll start eating rose petals!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...